The first recorded meeting of the Rothley Park Golf Club was held in the club house on 23rd August 1911. At that meeting, chaired by the President, Major Abbott Robinson, the Greens and House Committees were elected, the list of Gentlemen and Lady Members proposed and seconded and the Rules and Regulations agreed. It was noted that 'no Caddies were to be allowed on Sunday', and the club's existence commenced.
The land comprising the course was part of the Temple Estate owned by Mr F.Merttens, who, as such, was also the proprietor of the club. Work commenced on the course in earnest and the full eighteen holes were opened for play in 1912. An exhibition match between Harry Vardon and James Braid was arranged on the then Rothley Links. This coincided with the official opening of the club house and a photograph of the event hangs in the club house today.
In 1915 the members took over ownership of the club, the constitution was altered and the Rothley Park Golf Course Company Limited was registered to administer the lease of the land. This arrangement continued until January 1977 when the members took the courageous decision to purchase the course, all of its buildings and 20 acres of farm land. As a result the club's future was secured and placed in full control of the members, and this remains the case today.
In October of 2017 members voted to change from a Private Members Club to a fully incorporated company limited by guarantee. In April 2018 the new Company, Rothley Park Golf Club Ltd, came into being with a Board of six Directors led by Chairman, Ian Dawkins.